bop lighting design

Discuss Djs, lighting and the decor of the weekly Cheese fest

Moderator: site mods

Josh
Technical Co-ordinator

bop lighting design

Post by Josh »

Hi guys, me again

Ok, this is an idea for a lighting design I have been mulling over with Adam. If you can see any flaws in it/suggestions for improvement I would love to hear them. In short, we modify the basic bop plan as follows...

Side Pars ? removed
Roboscans ? in place of side pars, 3 per side (I assume we only have 6)
518s ? moved to join roboscans where side pars were ? one on each end
1220 ? one either side of DJ hanging from the stage rig
Blinders ? A 2*6 set up behind the DJ
On stage ? should look like the DJ is framed by 1220 with blinders just above him.
On floor ? should be able to get good effects with all the scanners
I would guess this would take 4 hours to modify?

My only question is how we would run power to the roboscans and 518s ? I know we obviously have power for the side pars, but that goes to the dimming racks ? is there a way to get constant power to them?

Any thoughts?

Josh
Joshua Muggleton- Cleverly Disguised As A Responsible Adult
niall
Admin

Re: bop lighting design

Post by niall »

Josh wrote:Hi guys, me again

is there a way to get constant power to them?

you unplug the plug from the dimmer, and use a 13/16-15Amp changer on the end...
Spike
ents crew

Post by Spike »

or fix the fuses in the orion and plug them straight into that?
If you can't fix it with gaffa, you haven't used enough!
PhilTheMerEnt
Director of Events & Services

Post by PhilTheMerEnt »

Josh wrote:is there a way to get constant power to them?
Yes Josh, we just stick a 16A fan on the end of the soca and plug it all into the rubber box (if we actually have enough space on it - I'm not actually sure that we will what with the Octagon and stage stuff all running from it). If only the sigma/delta/orion etc were not so broken....

Sounds like a big plan. I would suggest that the side pars are not taken down however, and especially not the scrollers - whatever gets taken down only needs to go back up again at some point in the near future.

May I suggest blinders off the front of the rig rather that always from the back for once - maybe not in this rig, but it is a nice effect.

Looks like an interesting plan though. Nice effort to shoe-horn the 1220s in.
There was something else I was going to mention - but it now escapes me as I got sidetracked whilst writing this post. I'll add it when I remember.
MerEnts have rights too you know!
PhilTheMerEnt

Post by PhilTheMerEnt »

As a side thought, we still need to make the 16A spiders don't we, after arthur's unfortunate cable-making effort :-p
Keith
ents crew

Post by Keith »

Hey Josh,

Sounds like a good idea, a few things though:

The side pars give a lot of light, someone on here will be able to say if they're 1K or 500Watt. The roboscans, aren't nearly as powerful. I can't remember what power they are (and the little ones we've had in the beer bar aren't mentioned in the h&s stuff). In past years we've been asked to have more light on the floor for bar and door staff.

have we got the 1220s working as they should now?

there might be a fair bit of theatre fighting for quick turnarounds from bops etc, so stage stuff (blinders etc) would have to come down for that.

We could make up another 16A to socapex as we have the socapex needing heads. (I don't know if we have the 16A plugs) We'd need more space on the rubber box, so perhaps we're better sticking to the 15A and using the sigma (once we change the fuses)

Hope this helps
Josh
Technical Co-ordinator

Post by Josh »

PhilTheMerEnt wrote:Yes Josh, we just stick a 16A fan on the end of the soca and plug it all into the rubber box
Really? i thought something like that would work in theory but i thought that we wouldnt have the adapters or something like that - it just seemed to simple to work!

PhilTheMerEnt wrote: Sounds like a big plan. I would suggest that the side pars are not taken down however, and especially not the scrollers - whatever gets taken down only needs to go back up again at some point in the near future.
True - would there be room to put the roboscans and 518s in there without taking the side pars down and run power for the scanners from the side par plugs?

Keith wrote: The side pars give a lot of light, someone on here will be able to say if they're 1K or 500Watt. The roboscans, aren't nearly as powerful.
True, but do we use the side pars that much in bops? I know I dont often use them and i rarely see others using them - so would we really loose that much light compared to what we usualy have at the moment? On the other hand, would the roboscans be bright enough to hold their own against the Prospots/technobeams etc?
Keith wrote: there might be a fair bit of theatre fighting for quick turnarounds from bops etc, so stage stuff (blinders etc) would have to come down for that.
Hmm. Well the only thing I would be adding to the stage rig would be the 1220s, so i would guess the stage wouldnt take much longer to de-rig than standard. Although i was wondering if we could put the front two strobes on one of the bars on the roof to save a bit of de/re rigging? I would guess they would have a similar effect to what they have now as it is the reflected light that creates the effect, rather than the light directly given off by the strobes.
Last edited by Josh on Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Josh
Technical Co-ordinator

Post by Josh »

P.S - i know nothing about the orion and sigma so i have no idea how i could use these - can someone explan what they do (when they are working) to me?
Keith
ents crew

Post by Keith »

As far as I understand, which could be very wrong:

The orion is the control that's sitting above the demux,spliter and that lot. The sigma is the top two racks on the left, which are dimmable by programming the orion. When switched off (on the orion) there is still a pre-heat current, so they cannot be used for intelegent lights.
The delta only allows for sockets to be switched on or off. This can also be programmed on the orion.

I've only seen the orion programmed once (Andrew Haynes' infamous 90 light rig for g&s!) :P Normally we keep it so that the dimmers are at 100% (slider on left of orion) and we can put sockets on/off using the corresponding button.
PhilTheMerEnt

Post by PhilTheMerEnt »

Remembered what I was going to say:

Josh, we should have 6 518s lying around somewhere. So you have a little more to play with than you thought.

Secondly, correct about the side pars, we rarely use them so they will not be missed too much. They can just be unplugged and slid out of the way but left up (unless weight becomes and issue on the bars...) I don't however, think the 812s would have much of an impact I'm afraid.