DMX Addresses for Bops in last week

Discuss Djs, lighting and the decor of the weekly Cheese fest

Moderator: site mods

Josh
Technical Co-ordinator

Post by Josh »

Ah, No. We have 6 of the 10 Prospots. 4 on the octagon (the first 4 addresses), 2 on stage. Hence i have programmed over the 4 prospots we dont have.

Also the pearl dosn't take anything though universe 3 or 4, i am trying to work out why, but i doubt i will figure it out between now and then, hence while if i need to stick more stuff on, i often go from the DeMux output to the lights, then to the pearl. Or i use our DMX splitter to do a similar thing
Joshua Muggleton- Cleverly Disguised As A Responsible Adult
Keith
ents crew

Post by Keith »

The sockets marked 3 and 4 on the pearl don't work but if you use the splitter cables you'll get 1 & 3 together and 2 & 4. These splitters need to go directly into the pearl, you can't split them anywhere else.
PhilTheMerEnt
Director of Events & Services

Post by PhilTheMerEnt »

Keith wrote:The sockets marked 3 and 4 on the pearl don't work but if you use the splitter cables you'll get 1 & 3 together and 2 & 4. These splitters need to go directly into the pearl, you can't split them anywhere else.
They're in the drawers next to the sink in the ents cupboard. Think they are labelled A & B, and C & D.
MerEnts have rights too you know!
Josh
Technical Co-ordinator

Post by Josh »

Ah yes, i remember now

They're in the drawers next to the sink in the ents cupboard. Think they are labelled A & B, and C & D.
I thought we only had one?
alhaynes
ents crew

Post by alhaynes »

Josh wrote:Ah, No. We have 6 of the 10 Prospots. 4 on the octagon (the first 4 addresses), 2 on stage. Hence i have programmed over the 4 prospots we dont have.

Also the pearl dosn't take anything though universe 3 or 4, i am trying to work out why, but i doubt i will figure it out between now and then, hence while if i need to stick more stuff on, i often go from the DeMux output to the lights, then to the pearl. Or i use our DMX splitter to do a similar thing
Surely, it would be easier to readdress the last ProSpot from 423 to 407, instead of trying to fill in gaps between them. It's not that important if the stage ProSpots are 5th and 7th or 5th and 6th in the sequence, and it is much easier to patch adjacent fixtures in the patch.
Josh
Technical Co-ordinator

Post by Josh »

I could readdress the 7th to become the 6th, but it would only allow me to move 1 VL to its dmx location, and i would also have to find somewhere for the pixelline to go.

But i agree with you in getting rid of the spicas as soon as we get the hires. If i can nab someone to give me a hand, i will probably strip the octagon and put the VLs up there Tuesday Afternoon, in which case we may as well use the Spica addresses. But if we are going to use them on stage for a bit, then i am tempted to use my old formulation as it allows us to use everything (bar the 1220s and 518s which we wont be using) - its a bit less hassle just using the two extra universes.

I will come up with the DMX Addresses for your way of doing it (not using the spicas)
Spike
ents crew

Post by Spike »

another idea would be to use DMX1 for the stage stuff. go from the desk, through all the fixtures terminating at the demux?
If you can't fix it with gaffa, you haven't used enough!
Josh
Technical Co-ordinator

Post by Josh »

VL1 1
VL2 18
VL3 35
VL4 52
VL5 69
VL6 86
VL7 103
VL8 120
PX1 137
PX2 147
PX3 157
PX4 167
AT1 407
AT2 411

That goes over the Spicas and the Studio Colour, but we wont be using the spicas once all the VLs are on the octagon and the Studio colour can just be moved to 439 if wanted. there are still a load of free channels this way. I havnt moved the 7th prospot to position 6 in this just as it seems less effort to type in a number on the pearl than get out a step ladder and change it.
PhilTheMerEnt

Post by PhilTheMerEnt »

Josh wrote:Ah yes, i remember now

I thought we only had one?
Nope - two..... in the drawer - they used to be kept in the Pearl flightcase, but when we had to keep sending it away to be "fixed", we relocated them to the drawers.
Josh
Technical Co-ordinator

Post by Josh »

ah - good to know. How does the splitter know to send one signal one way and the other the other?

Does anyone have any objections to me putting the VLs on the octagon on tuesday afternoon? I would probably leave the Technobeams up there for now.

Oh - and do the spicas and technobeams have flight cases or are they just put understage as they are?

Josh
Josh
Technical Co-ordinator

Post by Josh »

Josh wrote:ah - good to know. How does the splitter know to send one signal one way and the other the other?
Josh
equaly how does the pearl send 1024 signals though a port designed to only send 512?
alhaynes
ents crew

Post by alhaynes »

Josh wrote:
Josh wrote:ah - good to know. How does the splitter know to send one signal one way and the other the other?
Josh
equaly how does the pearl send 1024 signals though a port designed to only send 512?
5 pin DMX - normally 1 & 2 are signal, 5 is ground, 3 &4 unused.
5 pin Pearl output - 1 & 2 are universe A's signal, 3 & 4 are universe B's signal, 5 is common ground. Maps 1, 2 & 5 to 3/5-pin plug for A; 3, 4 & 5 to 3/5-pin plug for B.

Not sure on the pin numbers, but theory is correct.

Spike: It is much easier (and reliable) to use a "Pearl splitter" and an extra universe for the stage lights than to use Universe 1. Plus, if the DeMux 48 does not have a proper termination, there is always the possibility for strange things to occur.
PhilTheMerEnt

Post by PhilTheMerEnt »

Josh wrote:Does anyone have any objections to me putting the VLs on the octagon on tuesday afternoon? I would probably leave the Technobeams up there for now.
I hope to be in on Tuesday too - I kinda have another idea that I would like to try for Tuesday if I may (I spoke to you about it last night, Josh). They can then go on the octagon on Wednesday (provisionally)
Oh - and do the spicas and technobeams have flight cases or are they just put understage as they are?
No flightcases. I would personally try to find some way in which to use the technobeams. They are pretty decent lights. The spicas - I would be careful putting them understage in case we just decide to leave them there for ever and ever, or more to the point, in case they get broken, or amalgamated into the broken stock. We do realise what we're doing don't we - moving the spicas - they probably will never work again! :P
orudge
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Keith wrote:The sockets marked 3 and 4 on the pearl don't work
Hmm, they don't? I'm sure I used at least socket 3 a few months ago and it worked.

I will likely be in on Monday and/or Tuesday for rigging, and I shall be lurking around for the rest of the week here or there (although I don't promise to be sober!)
Owen Rudge
http://www.owenrudge.net/
Keith
ents crew

Post by Keith »

Maybe the sockets do work then :) I think someone told me that, and they heard it from someone and they heard from a friend....

at least it's easy to check!