DMX Addresses for Bops in last week

Discuss Djs, lighting and the decor of the weekly Cheese fest

Moderator: site mods

Josh
Technical Co-ordinator

DMX Addresses for Bops in last week

Post by Josh »

Hi

I have gone though the DMX Addresses of what we currently have and worked out where best to address the hires comming in. This meens we don't have to change around DMX addresses of our current fixtures

In this I am assuming we are using a 17 Channel mode for the VLs (the largest), 10 Channels for the Pixeline on mode 2 (as the next ones up is 28 and 84 channels long!), and 4 channels for the Atomics

VL1 1
VL2 111
VL3 128
VL4 145
VL5 162
VL6 439
VL7 456
VL8 473
Pix1 18
Pix2 407
Pix3 493
Pix4 503
AT 179
AT 183

Note that the Atomic Strobes overlap our Deathstar strobes thus the death stars need to be unpluged/taken down for the Atomics to work.

I am also assuming that the DMX addresses of the 2 prospots we have that arnt on the octagon are 391 and 423 - this is what i remember, but as my revision is telling me, my memory is crap. If you know differant let me know and i will do some re-jigging

If anyone can see any glaring errors let me know, but i think that this should let everything (bar the 1220s and 518s) be used

Josh
Joshua Muggleton- Cleverly Disguised As A Responsible Adult
Josh
Technical Co-ordinator

Post by Josh »

Drat - realised i have missed Stacys Laser off.

There is Definatly no room on Universe 2 as it is. If you want to use the laser i recomend eather put it on universe 1 or turn off something like the Studio Colour and use its DMX Address. Or if you are not using all the VLs use one of their addresses
Keith
ents crew

Post by Keith »

Short reply: the laser could go on it's own universe, or with other things on stage. You could have a universe just for stage stuff, if you're not moving things around too much or the stuff we'd only be using on stage (eg, atomics + laser)

Long rambling reply, including the same word used twice with different meanings:
the pearl supports 4 universes (though you have to use splitters [clearly marked 5 pin cable with two outputs] that are in the DMX adaptor drawers) the problem is we only have one splitter [the powered thing above the racks] so all the intelligents are normally just on one universe.

It's probably not worth taking down the death stars, they're not visible if you're not using them. They probably won't be used at all if you've got atomics, but there's still room for them on the other universes.
Josh
Technical Co-ordinator

Post by Josh »

I am thinking it is going to be very hard to find a use for 8 VLs without mimicing the Friday plan, and hopefuly people wont mimic it so friday dosnt seem boring. In which case we should have some free DMX channels for the laser. same goes for the atomics. As for Friday, i won't be using the Spicas so i will have a load of free channels then.
PhilTheMerEnt
Director of Events & Services

Post by PhilTheMerEnt »

Lazer not here - stacy has sold it.
MerEnts have rights too you know!
Josh
Technical Co-ordinator

Post by Josh »

:shock:

NNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

could we get one in the next big buy?
PhilTheMerEnt
Director of Events & Services

Post by PhilTheMerEnt »

No - having the lazer is extremely minor on the list of what kind of stuff we need I'm afraid!
MerEnts have rights too you know!
Spike
ents crew

Post by Spike »

I think if we;re getting the VLs for that long that we should use them for all the bops we can and get the most use out of them. Add in the pixeline and stuff later to make it nicer as well but i'd much rather see the VLs in use for more than one event (if possible).
If you can't fix it with gaffa, you haven't used enough!
orudge
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Depending of course on where you're placing everything, I'd just run a third universe if you need to. Might be handy for stage stuff at least.

Shame about the laser. Still, with all the stuff we're hiring in, the laser might have got a bit 'lost' anyway!
Owen Rudge
http://www.owenrudge.net/
Josh
Technical Co-ordinator

Post by Josh »

I agree we need to make the most of the hires - just that rather than having them on the octagon all week, we should be creative - try out differant designs. Having said that, a week of 8 VLs on the Octagon would look bloody amazing, i just wonder if people may be a bit disapointed when they come in on friday (having paid extra) and see that not much has changed from tuesday/wednesday/thursday
Spike
ents crew

Post by Spike »

They won't really notice.
If you can't fix it with gaffa, you haven't used enough!
Josh
Technical Co-ordinator

Post by Josh »

Well i will be there on tuesday, and there are some things i would like to try out, but i think i will put the VLs on the Octagon as a matter of priority - if nothing else it meens we dont have to use the spicas!
alhaynes
ents crew

Post by alhaynes »

Interesting plan, but is removing the ProSpots in favour of the Movitecs the best idea? The Movitecs aren't particularly reliable.

If you take the Movitecs off and then remove the last ProSpot or two (as they are in hospital), you will have a continuous batch of DMX from 1-180 and another from 455-512 - a total of 238 free addresses (and you require 17x10 + 2 x 4 + 4 x 10 = 218). Hence the VLs could be addressed in 1-170, the strobes from 171-178 and the Pixelines in 455-494.

Now if some of the lights are on stage, then problem is solved: the DMX protocol allows 32 lights to be run without a repeater (although it is generally better to keep to a limit of about half this). With 2 spare universes, then 32 lights could be placed on stage (or 64 if the splitting adapters are used and if both outputs are buffered independently).

Alternatively, put the Octogon on a separate universe, since it is fed by a single DMX line from the splitter (unplug from Splitter and plug directly into the console). Since a light would be removed for each light added, then the DMX addressing should be easy.

Universe 1 can only be used for the dimmers, as the DeMux 48 has lost its through DMX.

So to summarise: dimmers on 1, octogon on 2, others on 3 and 4. Then every light (including 1200s, 518s, etc.) can be used at the same time.

Andrew
Josh
Technical Co-ordinator

Post by Josh »

I am not sure what you meen by removing prospots in favor of Movitecs - the only prospots i have removed from my DMX listing are ones that are fecked or MIA - all the others have addresses.
alhaynes
ents crew

Post by alhaynes »

Josh wrote:I am not sure what you meen by removing prospots in favor of Movitecs - the only prospots i have removed from my DMX listing are ones that are fecked or MIA - all the others have addresses.
ProSpots are addressed at 327, 343, 359, 375, 391, 407, 423, 439, 455 and 471. Stage ProSpots were designated the last two channels (though the Enigma and Pearl do not know the difference). The other eight are for the Octogon.

So, have we really lost 5 of the 10 ProSpots?