End of year bop

Discuss Djs, lighting and the decor of the weekly Cheese fest

Moderator: site mods

schmod

Post by schmod »

Oops. I meant to put that back together at some point. As usual, I'll deflect the blame to a theatre group. Have you had any luck using the 1220s this year? It was somewhat of a letdown when, once we got all of the mechanical issues sorted out, they seem to have developed all sorts of DMX issues.
PhilTheMerEnt wrote:Oh, and those extra 4 'lights' would be better known as the 'non-moving-techs'. They really aren't going anywhere! (That paint has caused a lot of superficial damage - the real issue is that they are quite frankly crap).
To be fair, they're not that different from the ones that "work"

(Also, the paint damage is likely a bit more than just "superficial," as the optics don't tend to work well when covered in black paint. I've always been somewhat curious about how such a thick layer of paint managed to accumulate -- it's impressive)

Josh -- be careful about what you wish for. Phil may very well purchase a diamond-studded parcan.

(But seriously. You guys seem to have spent a quite a lot on hires this year. It might be a worthwhile investment to purchase some of the more frequently hired items.)
Spike
ents crew

Post by Spike »

That will be a DJM 800 and 2 pioneer CDJ1000's mk3
If you can't fix it with gaffa, you haven't used enough!
schmod

Post by schmod »

How do you feel about the DJM 800? I grew quite fond of the Allen & Heath during my tenure at the bop. The filters were particularly intuitive.

Have you tried any of the PC-based DJ solutions? I was at an event a few weeks back, where the DJ was using VirtualDJ, and was quite impressed by it. It looks like beatmatching would be stupidly easy with it.

(Can't you tell that I'm writing a paper that's particularly uninteresting? Fortunately, it's the last of my undergraduate career! Now I just need to find employment so that I can afford to bother you guys in person at some point next year.)
Last edited by schmod on Wed May 13, 2009 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PhilTheMerEnt
Director of Events & Services

Post by PhilTheMerEnt »

Orientation '09 (O09 - funky cos if you turn it upside down, it says 600 - and it's the 600th anniversary) - has a 'schmod' sized gap waiting to be filled mate.

In fact, offer open to all Ents who have already graduated - come back for this year's Freshers Week - would be great to see those of you who I actually know again! I promise I won't give you *tooooo* many tasks!
MerEnts have rights too you know!
schmod

Post by schmod »

PhilTheMerEnt wrote:Orientation '09
Are we no longer referring to it as Freshers' Week?
PhilTheMerEnt
Director of Events & Services

Post by PhilTheMerEnt »

Of course we are - just that this year is the start of the Uni's 600th anniversary celebrations (lasting 4 academic years) so to celebrate, and cos I noticed the 600 O09 thing, we might go with that. If you think of the T-Shirts worn by volunteers etc, they always say orientation <<year>> on them. I think Student Support see it as Orientation Week and the events side of things is the Freshers Week part - so I get to call it by both names - take them as interchangable.
MerEnts have rights too you know!
Craig
DJ Co-ordinator

Post by Craig »

schmod wrote: Have you tried any of the PC-based DJ solutions? I was at an event a few weeks back, where the DJ was using VirtualDJ, and was quite impressed by it. It looks like beatmatching would be stupidly easy with it.
Hey

I purchased a usb dj mixer (hercules Mk II) which controls virtual dj and I must say it is indeed ridiculously easy to beat match absolutely anything.
I used it for a couple of bops and it really made it very easy! Does take some of the fun out of it. I reverted back to cds for the last night I did.

It does now allow me to practice stuff out at home now which is nice and can be cracked out for parties. Also saves about ?1000 instead of buying cdj's and a mixer!